Thursday, February 14, 2008

Simply Repetitive

 

When learning about photography, often you are taught, “pictures containing repetition make for a great shot!”…for example, a row of flowers planted one after the other. Why is that? Why does repetition make for such a great shot? I like to think it’s because we find comfort in things we are familiar with…something that doesn’t vary too much, and doesn’t deviate from the norm. These predictable themes are exactly the reason I try to avoid photographing repetition; that is to say, I like a little variety with my crumpets and tea.

A couple of weeks ago, while wondering around Toronto, I found this interesting mural that I was instantly drawn to…. although it contained a repetitive theme, there were slight variations in it that sucked me in. What was it? This mural, with an industrial overtone, got my number. I couldn’t help but stare at it...it's simple, yet intricate, beauty, the contrast in colors, the different shapes and height of the nails and the raw power that was needed to drive all those nails into the wall. I was sucked in. I love it, and I couldn't help but photograph it.

What can I say? I am another victim of repetition, and although it bugs me a little, I do enjoy the simple beauty of it all.

If you are ever by Toronto's City Hall, walk in the main entrance and look immediately to your right to see what I am talking about. I wish I knew the name of the artist who created the giant mural, but the moment I find out, I will credit them on this website.

Have fun!

Koray (Core-EYE) Salih 

No comments:

Post a Comment